Monday, July 19, 2010

Jayme's latest blunder :)











Last Thursday Jayme, Leta and I where at some friends property practicing shooting our bows. I shot my arrows and then sat in the shade with Leta while Jayme took his turn. On his last arrow he shot and felt pain we noticed the blood at the same time. I asked him "what did you do?..Do you need to go to the hospital???" Which he replied "I think the string got me, and no I am fine" He told me to bring Leta and the bows up to the front of the property where there was a pump to clean up in. By the time I got up there ( which was no easy task carrying two bows and a toddler) he was visibly pale and quickly said "It may be worse than I thought" You think!! To my disgust I saw a pretty good sized hole in the top of his hand. So we got in the van and headed in. They looked at us like idiots when we where asked to describe what happened and all we could say was "He shot his bow and where thinking maybe the string got him" Well finally the doctor made it in and said the arrow got him by looking at all the carbon slivers in the wound. To spare you faint of heart to many details the bottom line was the arrow punctured through to the ligaments and cut one so he didn't want to stitch it closed due the ligament needed the wound to ooze at will to heal, but since he cut away the top skin he needed to put in what they call a purse stitch. One stitch in the middle of it to help it stay closed to heal, but open sides to ooze through. Pleasant huh. Now your asking how did the arrow get his hand in the first place, right? Well after over two hours in the E.R we headed home stopping at the target to see if we could see exactly what took place. And the final verdict is Jayme shoots at 70 pounds of pressure which apparently was to much for this poor old arrow and after releasing the string it shattered an inch or so before the fletchings (the feathers) a pretty good part. One part went on to the target and the other went off course into his hand, he jokes he is an awesome archer to hit two targets at once with one arrow, MEN!
The good news out of all this is his ligament appears to be healing beautifully and not tearing completely as they feared and no infection another concern, Yay
**The pictures came off my cell phone so there not the best quality

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is quite the story. You Adam would say the same thing about hitting two targets. MEN, is correct. O'well that is why we love them. Glad that it is healing well.

    ReplyDelete